Baja California Sur hides one of the best kept secrets of the Mexican territory, a quiet, colorful Magical Town, located in a strategic area. It´s a great place for tourists who dare to discover it. We are talking about Todos Santos, Mexico.
It´s located 80 kilometers from La Paz, Baja California, one hour and a half away on a little traveled and easily accessible road. And 109 kilometers from Los Cabos International Airport, on a one hour journey to Todos Santos.
It´s a quiet town, with a bohemian atmosphere, located in the middle of the desert, contrasting wonderfully with the crystal waters sea. Here you will find picturesque streets, art galleries, sightseeing tours, beaches with gorgeous landscapes, among many other attractions.
If you are planning your vacation to Todos Santos, here are the five must-see places in your itinerary. Lets Start!.
Los Cerritos Beach
Todos Santos has beautiful beaches with an open sea, such as San Pedrito, La Cachora or Las Palmas, but the best known is Playa Cerritos because of its ideal surfing waves, considered one of the safest in the region.
It´s located 10 minutes from the village, so you can get there by foot, bicycle or ATV. On the beach you can learn to surf since there are expert guides who will help you have an unforgettable experience on the waves; but, if surfing is not your greatest interest, you can enjoy the rocky mountain landscape, walk along the beach, take a kayak tour, enjoy the massage services overlooking the sea, go camping or take a yoga class.
And finally, from the desert paths of this beach you can spot whales from December to April.
Tortuguero Las Playitas
One of the most spectacular attractions is the olive ridley turtle release, which is one of the five species that inhabit the Pacific Ocean. In “Tortuguero Las Playitas” they are dedicated to protecting, caring and releasing them to avoid hunting. This wonderful experience can be enjoyed from November 15 to January 15.
Misión de Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar Mission)
As in every town in Mexico, the churches cannot be missed, and the “Todos Santos Misión de Nuestra Señora del Pilar” is one of the most spectacular. Built in 1733, it is an architectural complex composed of an old and a modern church. This place was a refuge for missionaries when they fled from the “Pericues Indians”, and although it is a simple construction, it is one of the most important tourist spots in Todos Santos.
Plaza de armas (Main Square)
The “Plaza de Armas” is a meeting point in Todos Santos, a rectangular esplanade surrounded by palm trees, coconut trees and vegetation that contrasts with the representative buildings of this colonial town. In the center of the square stands a circular kiosk, a fountain and cultural centers such as the Manuel Márquez de León General Theater and Cinema.
Parties and Festivals
Although Todos Santos is small, it hosts festivals of great gastronomic and cultural attraction, such as:
- Mango Festival. It takes place on the last weekend of July, from Friday to Sunday. Here you will find a huge gastronomic sample with the various applications of mango in the kitchen, as well as theater, music and dance shows.
- Wine and Gastronomy Festival. Also called Gastrovino, it is celebrated in May to advertise the best wines of the Baja California peninsula. Here you can taste excellent Baja California wines, with the region wine houses, as well as musical, artistic and cultural samples.
- Film Festival. It takes place in March where, for a week, fiction films, documentaries and short films are presented. Its origins are Latin American, Mexican and from Todos Santos.
- Art Festival. The first half of March there are plastic arts and folkloric exhibitions, cinema, floats, culinary art, musical concerts and other artistic shows.
- Music Festival. It takes place in the month of January, where for a week great rock figures meet to raise funds for the town´s social works.
- Traditional festivals. On October 12, “Nuestra Señora del Pilar” the town´s patron saint feast, is celebrated, where religious acts, concerts, dances and a gastronomic fair with local delicacies are held.
Definitely, Todos Santos is a place you can´t miss. Plan your vacation in advance and come and enjoy all the secrets that Baja California Sur has for you.